BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Day 11







6/22/10



Woken up this morning to the ship vibrating as it sails at four this morning, not fun. We sailed from Esna to Edfu during the early morning in order to make it to Edfu temple dedicated to the falcon god Horus. It was a diverting temple and I found good reliefs of Seshat the goddess of writing and history, and Thoth the ibis-headed god of wisdom. Karin found many cats and kittens who looked healthy and was happy.
After the temple I went up to the sun deck yet again. This is a wonderful tradition I have clung to and I am really going to miss it when I go home. The best part is how quickly you dry, so it's no hassel to get wet. ( Which is my usual deterrent) Grandma, Anne, Mark, and Karin joined me and we talked and gossiped about the sites and the other passengers. It was fun. Lunch was pretty good, normal.
After lunch I washed my hair and went up to the sun deck to dry off. I love how quickly my hair dries!!!!!! I am so going to miss it when I go home.
When we were getting ready to go to Kom Ombo temple we found another ship had docked right next to ours and were walking through ours to get to land. Grandma decided not to come with us, so it was only Karin, Mark, and I. The temple was cool, and I saw a relief of Ma'at the goddess of truth underneith an oracle of ancient times made for commoners. This temple was dedicated to both Horus and the crocodile god Sobek, so half is decorated with falcons and Hathor his bride, and the other half is decorated with crocodiles.
Karin was not feeling well so we walked back and left Mark to take a few more pictures.
I got back to find Dorothy and Grandma having a drink and talking in the lounge. I throught this a great idea and I got a drink too. I always get a diet coke and the guys at the bar know it by now. They see me coming and they have it ready almost by the time I get there.
Next is the port talk we have every night about where we are and what it going on for the rest of the night and the next morning.
Tonight is the night of the Egyptian dinner. This means we are supposed to dress Egyptian and the food is all authentic egyptian. (Well mostly anyway)
After the dinner we had Egyptian Night up in the lounge. My only concession to dressing Egyptian was a purple scarf meant for your head that I wrapped around my hips and my large ankh necklace. ( an ankh looks like a cross with a curved top like an upsidedown teardrop) Mark wore the King Tut headress with the cobra crown and pleated nemes. (nemes just means the cloth side part). Everyone throught we was a hoot. The headdress though is meant for his nephew. He'll never now unless he sees the pictures we took of Mark. The DJ also gave me a tourquoise belly dancer hip wrap that I put on top of my purple one. It wasn't a bad effect.
Bassem is our mc for the party and of course he, Sam, and Jihan are all decked out and look way better than the rest of us. Each group came up for a group shot with their program director.

Then the real party started. We were all invited onto the dance floor for a dance competition. As we were the last group up, we stayed on to try it out. Every once in a while Bassem would stop the music and tell us to get in groups of however many. If you didn't find yourself in a group, you were out. Karin and Grandma left Mark and I up there. His long arms served us well. I lasted until the final six and he lasted till the final three. I received many complements on my dancing basically because I was one of the few who can move their hips independently. Bassem even came up and danced with me. It was a whole lot of fun though I was embarrassed laughing for most of the time.
After the dance competition Bassem took four guys out into the hall and told them to pretend to be riding a motorcycle. He told us to pretend they all had Pharaoh's revenge ( yes it is like Montezuma's revenge) We were laughing hysterically for twenty minutes straight. We wouldn't tell the guys though until the end so they were confused. Hehehe.
Next Bassem called up a couple from each group for the mummy wrapping contest of course. This was funny in who each program director picked to participate. It was another good laugh.
Next was free dancing, and surprisingly this time we stayed. We sat out the first dance then got up for the next, it was a latin dance. I'm not up there two seconds when the DJ comes out, grabs my hand, and starts teaching me the merengue. I keep laughing over my mistakes until I get it. I got it pretty quick though and it was so much fun. He kissed my hand when the song ended, and then we all left for our cabins. I got a few complements on the merengue on my way out and Mark had several requests for pictures with his headdress.
Tomorrow we arrive in Aswan. Home of the famous dam and supposedly the best place to buy papyrus.

Tune in tomorrow for more of Sarah's Egypt Adventure.

0 comments: