BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS

Wednesday, July 7, 2010

Day 3


6/14/10

Today was EGYPTIAN ANTIQUITIES DAY!! The long-awaited day where I could finally see all to my heart's content. The only problem was....... NO Cameras Allowed. I couldn't believe it. Apparantly this is a rule in all Egyptian museums, no cameras. To compensate I bought postcards and playing cards as per my usual. The museum was wonderful though, and Sam knew so much about everything. Karin and I were too short to see what Sam would be talking about, so we would wander around and come back to it later. My favorite artifact was probably the collosus of Tiye. It was so majestic and strong.

Next came the mummy room. The most famous Pharaohs and queens of Egypt are kept here and I even saw the mummy proclaimed to be Hatshepsut. I've seen the search for her body on discovery channel and now I'm seeing the results!! Many of the mummies were so well preserved.
Unfortunately I did not know there were TWO mummy rooms and I missed the body of Queen Tiye!! Karin and Mark saw her though and said she was beautiful.

I bought another silver ankh charm... big surprise. As well as two cat statues and stamps. There is a post office in the garden outside of the museum and I bought stamps to send postcards.

Today is also the orientation lecture; very long, very dry, very repetative, and very boring. Also, an american woman named Sarah who married an Egyptian man and lives in Cairo.

Finally today is the at-home dinner. My group and about fifteen others are going to the apartment of a woman named Sheri (i'm sure she spells it differently). She, her husband, and her three boys live there. But, as her oldest is getting married, she is planning the next step for their lives.
In Egypt, the males need to provide a dowry, the house, the wedding, and half of the furniture. So, sheri needs to build or buy three houses. She is planning on building three villas and will live in an annex in her youngest's house. Wow. What a place to be a girl!

The food was interesting and I didn't even try some of it. The rest was not at all how I thought it would be. They seem to put this one spice I don't like in ABSOLUTELY EVERYTHING! I liked the chicken. The rest wasn't tooooo bad if I stopped paying attention to texture.

Later we had a group photo, and Sheri's son had trouble with my camera. So I checked it out later. My camera chip is FRIED! As in no pictures exist and no more can be taken. I don't know what to do. My four day old camera is broken!
After conferring with Karin and Mark, I text mom with my special international plan about the problem. She read me the manuel, then raced to Best Buy. Once there she met with the person who sold it to us and they tried to fix it from half a world away. Their best solution is to buy another chip. Now where am I going to be able to do that?!?!?!
I guess I'll have to hope for the best and rely on everyone else for pictures. Yikes! I bought this camera even though it was expensive for it's panoramic capabilities. Well I guess THATS out.

0 comments: